On This Page
Karen Araujo, AA792848
The Member admitted that she engaged in professional misconduct. The Member worked as a nurse at a facility which provided residential mental heath and addiction services. During a patient’s admission to the facility, the Member went on a dinner and date with the patient and engaged in sexual contact with the patient. After the patient was discharged from the facility, the Member and patient had an ongoing personal and sexual relationship for under a year, which included extensive communication by phone and text, and engaging in sexual intercourse.
The College of Nurses of Ontario (“CNO “) investigated a report received from the facility regarding the Member. The Member and patient decided to conceal the extent of their personal relationship and the Member coached the patient during the patient’s interview with a CNO investigator.
Discipline Committee’s Findings
Based on the Member’s admissions, a panel of the Discipline Committee of the CNO (the “Panel”) found that the Member:
- contravened a standard of practice of the profession or failed to meet the standards of practice of the profession;
- sexually abused a patient;
- failed to co-operate in a CNO investigation; and
- engaged in conduct, relevant to the practice of nursing, that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable and unprofessional.
Discipline Committee’s Order
The CNO and the Member presented the Panel with a Joint Submission on Order requesting that the Panel make an order that included the following:
- an oral reprimand;
- reimburse CNO up to $5,000 for funding provided to the patient for therapy and counselling, if the fund is accessed; and
- revocation of the Member’s certificate of registration.
The Panel accepted the Joint Submission on Order, concluding that the proposed penalty was reasonable and in the public interest. The Panel noted that the Member cooperated with the CNO and accepted responsibility by agreeing to the facts and a joint submission on order.