On This Page
File a Report
The following information is intended for employers, facility operators and health professionals. If you are a member of the public and you wish to make a complaint about a nurse’s conduct, please follow the instructions for making a complaint.
Employers have a mandatory obligation to inform the College when they terminate, or intend to terminate, the employment or privileges of College members. Facility operators have an obligation to report incidents of sexual abuse, incompetence or incapacity. In this way, employers and facility operators act as key partners in ensuring that nurses provide safe and ethical care that is consistent with the standards of practice.
A nurse is required to a file a report to the appropriate regulatory college if she or he believes that another health care professional has sexually abused a client.
In addition, a nurse must self-report to the College if she or he:
- has been found guilty of any offence in any jurisdiction;
- has been charged with any offence in any jurisdiction;
- has a finding of professional negligence and/or malpractice;
- has a finding of professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity or any similar finding, in relation to the practice of nursing or any other profession in any jurisdiction; and/or
- is the subject of a current investigation, inquiry or proceeding for professional misconduct, incompetence or incapacity or any similar investigation or proceeding in relation to the practice of nursing or any other profession in any jurisdiction.
The College expects nurses to self-report a finding or the initiation of a proceeding in another jurisdiction within 30 days.
The reports process allows for timely, efficient and effective regulatory action by the College.
To help nurses, employers and facility operators, the College has developed a reporting form. Use this form when filing your report and return it to the College by mail or fax.
The College has also prepared its Mandatory Reporting: A Process Guide for Employers, Facility Operators and Nurses and some sample reporting scenarios to better illustrate the reporting process.
For assistance or more information on the reports process
- email the College at firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 416 928-0900 ext. 6988 (toll-free in Ontario 1 800 387-5526)
- call 647-253-3875