On This Page
Accountabilities when using ultrasound
What are my accountabilities when using ultrasound as part of my nursing assessment?
The Decisions About Procedures and Authority practice standard has a number of expectations for all nurse when applying ultrasound. These include:
- having sufficient knowledge, skill and judgment to determine the appropriateness of performing the procedure
- ensuring the rationale for performing the procedure is based on achieving the best outcomes for the client
- identifying the required resources (present and future) to manage outcomes before performing a procedure
- applying best judgment and appropriate authority to make and act on decisions during the procedure
- ensuring the physical environment and access to equipment and other resources supports nurses in safely performing procedures
Other standards and guidelines to review include, but are not limited to, Consent.