Classes of Registration
All nurses registered with the College belong to one of the following six classes:
Most nurses registered with the College belong to the General Class. Both Registered Nurses and Registered Practical Nurses belong in this class.
- Membership obligations: General Class
- Applying to the General Class
- Maintain Your Membership
Extended (Nurse Practitioners)
The Extended Class is for RNs who have additional education and clinical experience that allows them to practise as Nurse Practitioners. Members in this class have an expanded scope of practice, with the authority to diagnose, prescribe medication, perform procedures, and order and interpret diagnostic tests.
- Membership obligations: Extended Class
- Applying to the Extended Class
- Extended Class: Terms, Conditions and Limitations
The Non-Practising Class is for members who want to remain College members at times when they are not practising nursing in Ontario.
- Membership obligations: Non-Practising Class
- Non-Practising Class: Questions & Answers
- Non-Practising Class: Terms, Conditions and Limitations
The Temporary Class is an option for applicants who have met all the registration requirements for the General Class except completing the registration exam. Members in this class are allowed to practise under defined terms and conditions. They can join the General Class after they pass the exam.
- Membership obligations: Temporary Class
- Applying to the Temporary Class
- Application for a Certificate of Registration in the Temporary Class
- Temporary Class: Terms, Conditions and Limitations
The Special Assignment Class is a time-limited registration for nurses who have an appointment as an RN or RPN with an approved facility in Ontario. Members in this class can only practise within the scope of their appointment and only under defined terms and conditions.
- Membership obligations: Special Assignment Class
- Special Assignment Class: Terms, Conditions and Limitations
The Emergency Assignment Class comes into force when the provincial government declares an emergency and asks the College to issue Emergency Assignment certificates of registration to qualified nurses.
- Membership obligations: Emergency Assignment Class
- Emergency Assignment Class: Terms, Conditions and Limitations